Saturday, January 15, 2011

TaeKwonDo

Most of you know most of the family are active in this sport, Pat, Sami, and Patrick. Pat loves it even though his body does not most of the time. Sami tolerates it but would rather be enjoying other things in her life, the other sports she participates in mainly. Patrick only goes at this point to see his friends. I like the confidence it gives them but I also understand how they feel, Patrick over the course of the year plays select baseball, football, basketball, just started roller hockey, and also has to practice his trombone everyday. Sami has a guitar and clarinet to practice, basketball, tumbling, and hopefully cheerleading soon. I am on the verge of letting them quit TKD because they are finding other enjoyments in life and lately I am feeling like I should get a part time job just to cover the cost of TKD. In the course of a year we spend $3000 for TKD, but I spend about 2/3 of that for ALL the other activities for all three kids! That total for TKD doesn't not include all of the little trips to include all the referee, self defense, instructor courses, or the testings that get throw in there that they strongly encourage everyone to attend. I enjoy the people in this class but I know that because I chose not to send my kids all over the Midwest to attend these courses that I am then labeled as not willing to put TKD first. For the past two years we have chosen to visit family or take an actual family vacation instead of attending TKD camp and I have been made to feel like a horrible person for choosing other things over TKD. Most of it is in a joking manner but man after three years of saying no to some of the trips they have definitely made me actually consider if I am making the right choice, sometimes I say yes just so I don't have to hear it. This is very heavy on my heart right now, I am not sure what the right decision for my kids and for my family is. I think what it will come down to is after the kids take the instructors course here in two months, that is mandatory and very expensive, my kids will be able to make a choice and we will stick to it. Pat will be able to continue to attend the class but the kids will be able to enjoy their other activities and not made to feel bad about it. Hopefully, this will be the right choice but this is the wonderful job of parenting, trying not to screw up your child while they are growing up.

2 comments:

Thumper said...

You've hit on why most people eventually wander away from the martial arts...the mentality of MA ABOVE ALL, as if people don't have real lives to lead.

Hell, one of my best friends was the majority owner of the dojang he and his family trained in, and he had them back off because he wanted them to be well rounded and have time to be kids.

TKD is always going to be around for the kids to go back to, but they won't always have their childhood...

Christina said...

Thanks! I needed to hear that! I will make a decision and stick with it, not feel about it no matter what anyone says!